Cascade Public Library Three Year Plan and Mission Statement
Mission: The mission of the Cascade Public Library is to enrich people’s lives by providing current resources, programs, education, and entertainment for the entire community.
Introduction: Through the months of December and January the Cascade Public Library collected survey input to help envision the future of the city and the role that the library would play to make that vision a reality. In analyzing the survey’s collected the Library Board identified the following needs to focus on for Strategic Planning:
- Visit a comfortable place, with room to host community groups, programs, and other events.
- Promote literacy in our community by offering a wide variety of programming.
- Increase our digital presence and offerings.
The Cascade Public Library used these survey responses as the foundation for the Strategic Plan. This plan outlines goals and objectives that the Cascade Public Library will endeavor to accomplish 2019-2021.
Cascade Public Library
3 Year Plan
2019 – 2021
Approved by the Cascade Public Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, January, 29, 2019
Community: Cascade is in Dubuque County in Eastern Iowa. The population of Cascade is 2,285 as of the Census of 2010. The median age is 44.7 years old. Residents of Cascade are 92.8% white, 6.6% Hispanic or Latino, and 0.6% black or African American. English is the predominate language.
The children of Cascade attend school in the Western Dubuque Community School District. There is are two elementary schools and a Jr./Sr. High School in Cascade. 42.2% of the population in Cascade are high school graduates, with 9.3% having obtained an Associates degree, 14.7% having a Bachelor’s degree, and 6.0% having a Master’s degree or higher.
Citizens of Cascade have access to information in a variety of formats including a local newspaper, television, and Internet providers.
The main employers include The City of Cascade, Western Dubuque Community School District, American-Iowa Manufacturing, Cascade Lumber, Cascade Communications, Weber Metals, Cascade Municipal Utilities, and Custom Precast. The community also includes 2 banks, 2 bars, a chiropractor, dentist offices, a pharmacy, a medical clinic, several gas stations, auto repair and sales, insurance agencies, beauty salons, Aquin Little Angels Daycare center, a grocery store, and various other carpentry, farm services, and other assorted businesses. The median income in Cascade is $65,865, which is above the state average of $54,570, and unemployment is at 2.6%.
(All statistics are courtesy of the Iowa State Data Center)
Visit a comfortable place, with room to host community groups, programs, and other events.
GOAL #1: Construct an enhanced physical space to welcome and empower our community.
- Form a planning committee, composed of members of the community of all ages. (2019)
- Locate and select a site for the future library building. (2020)
- Secure funding through a variety of channels including, but not limited to, the city of Cascade, grants, donations, and fundraisers. (2019-2021)
d. Encourage, include, and promote the Friends of the Library. (2019-2021)
Promote literacy in our community by offering a wide variety of programming.
GOAL #2: Inspire and create opportunities that cultivate and enrich people’s lives. (2019-2021)
- Offer new types of programming to attract a diverse population (2019-2021)
- Seek out opportunities to reach out to organizations in our community, being an active partner in life-long learning. (2019-2021)
- Begin a weekly tutoring program that connects teens with younger children. (2019)
Increase our digital presence and offerings.
GOAL #3: Acquire additional online resources to offer patrons, including movie and music digital streaming services. (2019)